Monday, October 26, 2009

The New Addition

In the song "Ballad of a Thin Man" by Bob Dylan he sings, "You've been through all of F. Scott Fitzgerald's books/ You're very well read/ It's well known". Like Dylan, I've always felt a mild cynicism for well-read intellectual types. I suppose that's why I married a bookworm. Keep your enemies close, right?

We hired a carpenter to build a massive bookshelf to house all of my wife's literary victims. It's eleven feet long by seven feet tall and practically covers the whole wall. I've never been much into the written word, but a home library says something about a man. Hopefully it says something to exaggerate my phallus.

Aside from my wife's pretentious obsession with books, there's another area she excels in - baby making. I like to think that I had something to do with it, but I was there the night of conception, so trust me, I didn't do much. All of our efforts for the past three years have been aimed at this outcome and, now that it's finally here, we couldn't be happier. I just hope our dog-childs don't get jealous.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Congrats on the baby making! And, I absolutley lust after your bookshelf.

You posted a lovely little comment on my blog. I apologize for the lack of books and boobs and vaginas. Really, it's all in there. You just have to know where to look.

Oh, yeah. I like your blog too.

Katherine said...

Congratulations on your wife's excellent baby making skills! I'm sure Ernie and Red won't mind too much, just maybe a bit jealous because they don't have puppy making skills.

Also, I am completely totally jealous of your wife's enormous bookshelf. While I have no books, I could totally store trinkets and all that good stuff on those shelves.

Michael DeAntonio said...

Emily- I found the boobs. Thanks.

Katherine- Thank you. We actually got a wonderful sonogram this morning. We could see his/her feet flailing everywhere. It was great.