Tuesday, February 23, 2010

An Open Letter to My Son

Dear Lukas,

I know it may be awhile before you can read, and if you attend the schools around here that day may never come, but I wanted to take a minute to let you know that I love you. I don't love you the way I love breasts, but deeper and less superficial. I still worry sometimes if I'm the best role model for a child to have. I would hate to pass the family nose or the family temper on to you. No one needs that kind of baggage. At least I know I'll be a better dad than Scott Stapp. He sings for the band Creed. Yeah, I know.

I promise to make the best effort, though. I'll read to you every night. I'll play catch with you. I'll do all those things that a good dad is supposed to do. I promise. And I'll never engage in group sex with Kid Rock and a couple strippers in the back of a tour bus. Yeah, Scott Stapp did that. While he was married and fronting the pseudo-religious rock band Creed. What a jerk.

It's hard for me to imagine anything more beautiful than that big bulbous belly that your momma has right now. I place my hands on it and feel you kick and it brings tears to my eyes. But I know that it will pale in comparison to the first time I see your face and hear you cry. I can't wait to meet you. If I never do anything monumental in life, at least I can say that I created a wonderful child with a wonderful woman. I don't care if I'm never an astronaut. Or a NBA star. Or the singer for a pseudo-religious rock band that plays songs about fatherhood, but then attempts suicide. Yeah, with a wife and two kids, Scott Stapp tried to kill himself.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want to give you everything and I want to be everything for you, but if I fall short just know that I tried and I love you. And at least your dad isn't Scott Stapp, because that guy really sucks.

Love,

Daddy

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael, this letter brought tears to my eyes. It is the say that all good fathers should feel. I can't speak for fathers but I can for mothers. Just try to remember that this is the same way I feel about my son.... In a way, maybe it will help you understand my feelings which I know that you have trouble accepting. Granny

I know you will be the best father because you have been the best grandson and maybe, I hope, I had something to do with the fine man you have grown into. I love you more than you know.... Again, I loved the letter.

Michelle said...

Awww, love the letter.

Cheryl said...

This is a really touching letter. But I hope you know it pretty much guarantees that Lukas will be a huge Creed fan when he's a teenager.

spotted dog farm said...

this is so hysterical and so freaking sweet too. you're gonna make a great daddy.

Peter Varvel said...

It brings tears to my eyes, too, reading this.
More of this, please, especially after he arrives (if you're not too zombie-like from lack of sleep . . .)